Conan Edogawa (江戸川 コナン, Edogawa Konan?), an APTX 4869 Victim who is also known by his real name Shinichi Kudo (工藤 新一, Kudō Shin'ichi?), is the main protagonist in the manga and anime franchise Detective Conan.
After escaping from well-meaning but skeptical park security, with nowhere else to go Shinichi runs home. He there encounters into his next door neighbor and close family friend, Professor Agasa. He convinces Agasa of his identity and head inside Shinichi's home to discuss the next move. Agasa warns him that he must keep his identity secret because the Black Organization will kill him and others associated with him should they discover the truth.
Conan has dark brown hair which mostly hangs downwards just above his blue eyes, but there are also a few strands that stick up at the front and back of his head.
Shinichi's intelligence remains intact even though he has shrunken into a child. As Conan, Shinichi tries to behave like a child. He refers to Ran as "Ran-neechan" (nee-chan meaning older sister, a common nickname Japanese children give to teenage girls and young adult women they look up to), and refers to Shinichi as "Shinichi-niichan" (nii-chan meaning older brother).
Shinichi as Conan remains very close to Ran, who in return is very protective of him. However, because Ran is unaware of his true identity, Conan often finds himself in awkward situations with her, such as when she confessed her feeling for Shinichi to him and when she made him bathe with her at a hot spring.
Conan maintains an extraordinarily broad knowledge of many subjects and trivia that help him solve cases and escape tricky situations. Conan tries to speak in a child-like manner when dealing with adults, but he often gets caught up in the current case and begins speaking like an adult, referring to advanced topics and using reasoning much too complex for a normal child. When this happens, he often tries to pass it off as "something he heard on TV" or "taught by uncle Kogoro/Professor Agasa/Shinichi-niichan".
- Intellectual Abilities
All of Shinichi's detective skills carry over to his Conan form, although Conan does not the have the reputation Shinichi had. He repeatedly demonstrates the ability to remember every detail of an investigation or other topics he cares about, and may have a photographic memory to manage such perfect recall so consistently.
- Physical Abilities
Conan athletic ability is carry over from Shinichi and is just as skilled as Shinichi in soccer, but a lot less powerful because he only has the strength of a young child. To make up for this, Conan uses Agasa's Power-enhancing kick shoes. Conan uses signature, powerful precision kick to knock out criminals using soccer balls or whatever substitute is handy.
Carried over from his original form, Conan's singing is often off key which many have pointed out.
Canon Plot Overview
Shinichi invented the Alias Conan Edogawa when Ran asked him his name. When Agasa suggests that Conan lives with Ran and her Father although Conan was initiated against the Idea before Agasa reminded him Ran's House is a Detective Agency hoping that cases that would be related to the Black Organization come by and Conan agreed.
While walking back Ran's Home Ran asked Conan if he had someone he likes and replied he doesn't Ran then tells him that she has someone she likes. Conan tried to tease Ran that the person she like was Shinichi which she admits despite his faults she really likes Shinichi, but asks Conan to not tell him. This revelation causes Conan to blush furiously as Ran inadvertently confessed her feeling for him
At a game convention, Conan meets a third man in black named Tequila, only to have him die in an explosion meant for someone else. Conan learns about a meeting place from the murderer, but just before he reaches the bar an explosion set by the men in black destroys the place entirely, leaving Conan without any leads.
Later on, Conan meets Ai Haibara a new transfer student. On their way back from a case, Ai reveals the name of the pill forced down Shinichi's throat months ago and her true identity.
After Conan solves a case of serial murders, the culprit tells Conan that the tune created by dialing the phone number for the Leader of the Black Organization is the song "Seven Children" leaving Conan with a horrified expression. Later Conan went camping with Professor Agasa and the Detective Boys Conan discussed with Agasa about the Boss' Email Address which shocked Agasa asked Conan if he intended to send an email to the boss address but respond he won't that he not going to do anything that attracts attention himself. Conan thinks that he can get Detective Wataru Takagi to figure who the number belongs to, however, Haibara stop him and warned him pointing out that investigating this email address would only cause Takagi harm and the others around him. Conan then asks Ai Haibara about the Boss' Cell Phone Number, she warns him that it is a Pandora's Box and that he should never attempt to contact it.
After School Conan receives a phone call from Jodie who tells him that the Black Organization has received a new member codenamed Bourbon and learned that Bourbon assigns to capture the Organization traitor Sherry specifically Ai.
Conan asked Haibara about Rum but she said that she doesn't know much about Rum only remembers that Rum was the second command of the entire organization and gives Conan vague descriptions about Rum's appearance, some say that Rum may be a large muscular man, some say that Rum has a feminine appearance, another description said that Rum may be an old man.
Non-Canon Plot Overview
- Gosho Aoyama derived Shinichi Kudo's Alias "Conan Edogawa" from Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Author of the Famous Sherlock Holmes Stories, and Edogawa Ranpo, the Pen Name of the Japanese Fictional Mystery Writer Hirai Tarō.
- Hirai Tarō himself got the Pen Name "Ranpo Edogawa" from a Transliteration of "Edgar Allan Poe".
- Hirai Tarō realized that pronouncing Edgar Allan Poe's Full Name in a Japanese Accent sounds like "Edogawa Rampo".
- In The Fist of Blue Sapphire, Conan created his Arthur Hirai persona from Arthur Conan Doyle and Ranpo Edogawa's real name.
- Gosho Aoyama himself stated that Conan Edogawa's Hair Style was designed in about one minute.
- While creating Conan Edogawa's Hair Style, Gosho smoothed Yaiba's Hair from Yaiba and added a Tuft on the back of his head modeled after the Apostrophe Hairstyle of Kabu from Sally the Witch.
- Conan's Tuft on top of his head comes from the Fictional Character Shichimi from Niji Iro Tōgarashi.
- Conan Edogawa's use of Glasses as a Disguise was modeled after Clark Kent from Superman.
- Conan Edogawa's Clothes were modeled after Shichi-Go-San (7-5-3) Clothing, which were the clothes Gosho Aoyama used to wear such as bow tie and shorts when he was young.
- Conan Edogawa's Speech Habits were meant to be slightly rough like Joe from Ashita no Joe and Touch.
- Conan Edogawa often uses the Expression "Ah-Le-Le?" when he is trying to point out a clue, something that is usually said by Japanese Grade Schoolers.
- The "Ah-Le-Le?" Expression was once said by Kogoro Mouri out of irritation to Conan and by Ai Haibara who tries to imitate Conan's childish expression.
- Conan's Habit of acting juvenile to disguise his real abilities by expressing "Ah-Le-Le?" also draws the ire of the Detective Boys.
- Conan Edogawa's Bad Singing came to light as a joke after the anime began airing because Conan's Voice Actress, Minami Takayama, is a well-known Singer.
- In Episodes 81-82, Minami Takayama herself was kidnapped and Conan, who sounds similar to her, tries to take her place at the concert. However, despite having similar voices, they sound completely different when it comes to singing.
- Conan Edogawa owns two Cellphones, the one that he uses as Conan Edogawa and the one that he uses as Shinichi Kudo.
- Conan is also shown using different kinds of Cellphones that vary from time to time throughout the Detective Conan series.
- Conan Edogawa seems to have Plane Narcolepsy which also shows up when he is Shinichi Kudo as well.
- Conan Edogawa appears to be a Big Fan of Haginyan, a Cat Mascot, which was shown in Episode 891.
- Conan Edogawa/Shinchi Kudo's Favorite Food is Lemon Pie and Favorite Drink is Iced Coffee, which were first shown in Episodes 100-101 and in Movie 18.5, respectively.
- Conan Edogawa/Shinichi Kudo and Ran Mouri share the same Blood Type, although their Blood Type still remain unknown.
- Conan Edogawa is right-handed.
|Executive Agents||Renya Karasuma • Gin • Pisco • Rum • Vermouth|
|Codenamed Agents||Calvados • Chianti • Korn • Tequila • Vodka|
|Agents||Rikumichi Kusuda • Akemi Miyano • Atsushi Miyano • Elena Miyano • Ki'ichiro Numabuchi|
|Undercover Agents||Ethan Hondou • Bourbon • Kir • Scotch|
|Former Agents||Rye • Sherry|
|Others||Antonio Gomez • Yoshiaki Hara • Kate Lauren • Masaaki Okakura • Black Beard • Aquavit • Arrack • Curaçao • Generic • Irish • Riesling • Stout|
|Karasuma Group||Renya Karasuma • Atsushi Miyano • Elena Miyano|
|Suzuki Group||Ayako Suzuki • Jirokichi Suzuki • Shiro Suzuki • Sonoko Suzuki • Tomoko Suzuki|
|Tomizawa Group||Taichi Tomizawa • Tatsuji Tomizawa • Tetsuharu Tomizawa • Yuzo Tomizawa|
|Lupin III||Goemon Ishikawa XIII • Daisuke Jigen • Arsène Lupin III • Fujiko Mine • Koichi Zenigata|
|Magic Kaito||Saguru Hakuba • Akako Koizumi • Konosuke Jii • Chikage Kuroba • Kaito Kuroba • Toichi Kuroba • Keiko Momoi • Aoko Nakamori • Ginzo Nakamori • Kaitou Corbeau • Kaitou Kid • Saguru Hakuba's Assistant • Akako Koizumi's Assistant • Magic Kaito Organization Boss • Magic Kaito Organization Sub-Boss • Lucifer • Rose • Snake • Spider|
|Yaiba||Kenjuro Kurogane • Yaiba Kurogane • Raizo Mine • Sayaka Mine • Shizuka Mine • Musashi Miyamoto • Keiko Momoi • Soshi Okita III • Soshi Okita VI • Takeshi Onimaru • Kagetora • Shonosuke|
|Guardians||Hiroshi Agasa • Sumiko Kobayashi|
|Members||Conan Edogawa • Ai Haibara • Genta Kojima • Mitsuhiko Tsuburaya • Ayumi Yoshida|
|CIA||Ethan Hondou • Hidemi Hondou • Barney|
|FBI||Shuichi Akai • James Black • Andre Camel • Jodie Starling • Starling Family Father • Aaron • Bill • Cheng • Hodges • Ishida • Jeff • Jim • Meyer • Tim • Tony|
|MI6||Tsutomu Akai • Mary Sera|
|NPA & PSB||Rei Furuya • Yuya Kazami • Hiromitsu Morofushi|
|Tokyo Metropolis||Shintaro Chaki • Kazunobu Chiba • Wataru Date • Kenji Hagiwara • Hyoue Kuroda • Jinpei Matsuda • Kiyonaga Matsumoto • Juzo Megure • Naeko Miike • Yumi Miyamoto • Ginzo Nakamori • Toshiro Odagiri • Miwako Sato • Ninzaburo Shiratori • Wataru Takagi • Tadayoshi Uno • Officer Tome • Officer Tsujimura • Inspector Yuminaga|
|Nagano Prefecture||Taka'aki Morofushi • Yui Uehara • Kansuke Yamato|
|Osaka Prefecture||Heizo Hattori • Goro Otaki • Ginshiro Toyama|
|Others||Fumimaro Ayanokoji • Leona Buccholz • Radish Redwood • Chosuke Takagi • Misao Yamamura • Jugo Yokomizo • Sango Yokomizo • Koichi Zenigata • Aquavit • Stout|